Enjoy a Backyard Movie NightAmber Brandt
Right now, social media is loaded with fun summer photos, vacations, recipes, and ideas. You’ve most likely even stumbled onto a picture of a dreamy backyard movie set up and thought “That would be so cool…” so why not create one? The truth is, you could go all out with a fun theme, floor cushions, tiki torches, and the like, but you really don’t need much to make it happen. If you have the basic technology, snacks, and a comfortable spot for everyone to relax, it will be a great evening.
Here are our tips for creating a fun family movie night outdoors:
- Secure a screen. The ultimate budget hack is a simple white sheet tied to a fence or tacked up on the side of your house. There are also some pretty inexpensive options available online that are easy to set up. Parents magazine also has a handy DIY version using items you probably have in the garage.
- Fire up the projector. One quick search on Amazon produces a list of projectors ranging in price from $30 up into the thousands. The key is making sure you purchase something that’s Bluetooth compatible if you wish to utilize a streaming service for your video. And if you’re feeling brave, you can also try this tutorial for making your own projector with an iPhone and a shoebox.
- Blankets, pillows, rugs, or lawn chairs. Since you’ll be setting up the movie for small children and adults alike, make sure you have the screen placed high enough to give everyone an ideal vantage point – then pile on the comfort and snuggles.
- Snacks. It goes without saying that everyone loves popcorn and candy at the movies. Make sure you stock up on nibbles everyone enjoys. You could even turn a backyard BBQ on the grill into movie time while you’re waiting for it to get dark.
- Extra fun. Make the evening especially memorable by adding glow sticks, tiki torches, twinkle lights, or lanterns to create the mood. And don’t forget bug spray or citronella to keep the evening swat-free.