Our Top 5 Spring Cleaning TipsAmber Brandt
Articles by Amber
Published: Nov 28, 2023
Published: Nov 21, 2023
Published: Nov 14, 2023
Published: Nov 07, 2023
Spring is almost here, and that means it’s the season to deep clean! But where should you start? Here are our 5 top tips for cleaning this spring:
- Schedule it out. When you’re staring at a house that feels like dust bunnies or corner cobwebs abound, it can be overwhelming to even know where to start. Sit with your partner and calendar to plot out which projects or rooms you’ll tackle each week. (Even if you can only devote 1-2 days a week, you’ll still make great headway this month!) Think about the spaces you typically skip during routine cleaning (think: the closet in the guest bedroom or the kitchen cupboards), and make sure they get a slot on the schedule, too.
- Take it room by room. Focus on one room at a time and work from top to bottom, taking extra effort on those often neglected areas. Use a room checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything important.
- De-clutter. No matter how careful you are about what you bring into your home, there will always be toys and clothes your kids have outgrown that need to move along. The same can be said for kitchen utensils, old furniture, and all the random odds and ends cluttering up your spaces. You may choose to set aside items for a summer yard sale, consign them, donate them to a local Goodwill, or find them a new home on your local Buy Nothing Project Facebook group.
- Freshen things up. As we transition out of winter and into springtime, you may find it’s a good time to add a few new accessories to your home. Pack away heavy knit or faux fur throws and replace them with linen and lighter weight cotton. Replace your shower curtain liner and bathroom rug if it’s worn. Also do a quick sweep of the kitchen to discard any ratty old dishcloths and consider purchasing new. (Maybe pop by the candle aisle for a fresh linen or citrus-scented jar candle while you’re at it!)
- Don’t forget to clean the air. Spring is a great time to replace your furnace and HVAC filters. Ducts often build up dust during the winter, and spring brings plenty of allergens, too. New filters will have everyone in your home breathing happier and healthier.