To enable students to reach high academic standards, the school has put in place a dress code designed to reduce distractions and competitions. Implementing a professional, effective dress code promotes student learning and increased academic instructional time.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for the complete dress code policy.
Tops / General Guidelines
- Shirts should cap over the shoulder
- No tank tops, spaghetti straps, muscle shirts, or halter tops are allowed
- Shirts must cover the stomach and back, so skin does not show when bending, sitting, or raising a hand in class
- No see-through or fishnet clothing is allowed
- “Gothic” clothing and dark, distracting make-up are not allowed
- Gym shirts may be required to help maintain appropriate personal hygiene standards
- Students must wear clothing of the appropriate size - Wearing excessively tight or oversized clothing is not permitted
- Wearing, carrying, or displaying gang paraphernalia, names, signs, or symbols is prohibited
- Clothing may not advertise alcohol, tobacco, or music groups
Hair & Hygiene
- Extreme hairstyles are not permitted
- Hair color must be of natural tones
- Pants must have straight legs and be in good condition without holes or patches
- Pants should be belted at the waist line—no sagging
- Jean and khaki materials are the standard clothing for pants and shorts
- Spandex and sweat suit material clothing are not permitted
- Shorts, skirts, jumpers, etc. must be longer than the fingertips when the student’s arms hang straight at the student’s sides
Hats & Accessories
- Hats are not to be worn inside the school building
- Only ears may be pierced
MiscellaneousAll students are to wear appropriate clothing that is neat, clean, modest, and not distracting to others.
Students not adhering to the Walker Dress Code will be spoken to by their classroom teacher and asked to make the necessary changes to make sure the violation doesn’t persist. (Often an art shirt or other clothing item can be found to wear for the day so that instruction is not interrupted.)
Students continuing to break the dress code will be referred to the administration for appropriate disciplinary action as described in the Code of Conduct.
Interpretation of the Dress Code is at the principal and staff’s discretion, and their decision is final.