This year NHA recognized 167 of its partner-schools instructional professionals through the Excellence in Teaching awards. Ceremonies were held throughout the week during Teacher Appreciation Week, a time to recognize educators for their dedication to student learning and transforming lives.
The Excellence in Teaching winners are:
- Vanessa Robert at Canton Charter Academy (Young 5s/Kindergarten)
- Sierra Anthony at Knapp Charter Academy (First grade)
- Mary Ellen Kitko at Forsyth Academy (Second grade)
- Jamie Bathurst at Legacy Charter Academy (Third grade)
- Lisa Jackson-Clayborn at Flagship Charter Academy (Fourth grade)
- Diana Hubbard at Aspire Charter Academy (Fifth grade)
- Kristen Miller at Johnston Charter Academy (Sixth grade)
- Nickeisha Grey at Brooklyn Dreams Charter School (Seventh/Eighth grade)
- Jeffrey Saneford at Grand River Prep (High school)
- Rachel Licata at Walton Charter Academy (Specials)
- Felita Mitchell at Willow Charter Academy (Specialists)
- Suzanne Jones at Vanderbilt Charter Academy (Paraprofessionals)
Finalists were chosen based on a variety of metrics, including individual performance ratings/scores, student learning results, teamwork, positive student relationships, resiliency, discretionary effort, and core values from the 2021-22 school year. In addition, a teacher needs to be recommended for the award by their principal and director of school quality.
Check out a school near you!
Willow Charter Academy is a tuition-free, public charter school in Lafayette, Louisiana, serving students in kindergarten through eighth grade. It is part of the National Heritage Academies network, which includes over 95 tuition-free, public charter schools serving more than 65,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade across nine states. For more information, visit nhaschools.com.
Visit Willow Charter Academy's blog to read more stories like this.