Warrendale Charter Academy (WCA) had eight kindergarten students start school that were already particularly familiar with some of the faces they would see. These eight students all happen to be children of WCA school employees.
The eight students who started kindergarten this school year at WCA are Princeton Flowers, Aaliyah and Alyssa Anderson, Preston Osborn, Zackery McClendon, Johnny Strickland, Solomon Aferi, and Mackenlee Hardge. Staff members who welcomed their kindergarten students to their school are:
- Porshea Flowers, kindergarten- through second-grade dean.
- Janae Anderson, middle school dean.
- Damon Osborn, attendance liaison.
- Shanika McClendon, fifth-grade teacher.
- Ci’era Strickland, fifth-grade paraprofessional.
- Florence Aferi, middle school paraprofessional.
- Elizabeth Hannum, first-grade paraprofessional.
“As a parent, I often think about my kids receiving a good foundation for their education,” said Janae Anderson, middle school dean at WCA. “Being a staff member of WCA, I know exactly what they are learning which helps support them at home.”
Anderson chose WCA for her twins to attend because of the academic focus instilled at the school, along with the high expectations for modeling the Moral Focus virtues.
Porshea Flowers, kindergarten- through second-grade dean at WCA, loves being able to see her son, Princeton, in the class working or interacting with peers when he doesn’t know she’s watching.