Skip to main content

Accepted Student FAQ

Do you have a child who was recently accepted to an NHA school in Michigan? Read below for answers to frequently asked questions about what comes next.

What do I need to do to register my child for the school year?

To register your student’s seat, provide the information and forms bolded below. These documents must be completed on or before the deadline provided in the acceptance communications in order to secure your child's seat.

Important paperwork needed to register:
  • Admissions Form
  • ​Official Release of Records
  • ​Proof of Residency
  • Grade Level Assessment (Only if attending Knapp or Pembroke)​​​​​
The remaining forms are needed no later than your child's first day. These forms allow us to ensure student safety and well-being and accurate reporting, so we ask that you fill those out as soon as possible.

Additonal forms needed for all Michigan students:
  • Attendance Expectation Form
  • ​Birth Certificate (original certified copy)
    • A certified copy can be obtained at the County Clerk’s Office in the county in which your child was born (photocopy, hospital, or footprint copy is not acceptable).
  • Directory & Media Opt Out Form
  • ​Emergency Contact Information
  • Health Department Consent Form
  • ​Home Language Questionnaire
  • Immunization Records (Including virtual school)
  • Lunch Forms (available after July 1 - Including virtual school)
  • ​Student Device Agreement
  • Student Residency Questionnaire
  • Transportation Permission Form
  • Dental Health Screening (Y5/K/1st grade students only)
  • Vision Screening (Y5/K students only)
  • Volunteer Form (only complete if interested in volunteering at the school)
  • Individualized Education Plan or 504 Plan (if applicable)
Other forms needed for middle and high school students only:
  • Course Request Form (9th grade students)
  • Current High School Transcript (10th-12 grade students)
  • NWEA and/or PSAT ELA/Math scores (or schedule to take NWEA assessment at the school)
  • Specialized Learning Form
Other forms needed for virtual school students only:
  • Course Request Form (9th grade students)
  • Current High School Transcript (8th-12th grade students)

All information and forms can be submitted online via the Parent Portal.

*Other forms may be requested before the first day of school.

What documents are acceptable as a proof of residency?

Acceptable proof of residency documents must be dated and include the parent/guardian’s name. 
One (1) item the following documents may be used and must support the address provided on the school application:
  • Valid Michigan driver’s license or state-issued photo identification card, or
  • Mortgage and rent payment receipts, or
  • Lease agreement, or
  • Voter registration card, or
  • Gas, water, electric bill, or
  • Bank statement

Can I submit a proof of residency, birth certificate, and immunization records through the Parent Portal?

Securing your child’s personal data is important to us. For your convenience, you can securely upload documents using the Forms page on the Parent Portal. As always, these documents can also be brought into the school office.  For security reasons, we ask that you not email proof of residency, birth certificates or immunization records.

For more detailed instructions on uploading documents, take a look at the video below.

What if I cannot find my child’s birth certificate?

A certified copy of the birth certificate is required upon entry to the school. A new birth certificate can be requested through the county office in which your child was born. The VitalCheck website is another resource for ordering a new birth certificate online.

What if my child’s immunizations are not up to date?

Updated or in-progress immunizations are needed for your child to start school. Check with your doctor’s office or the local health department on the most current requirements and immunization programs.

Do I have to complete a release of records if my child hasn’t attended school previously?

Yes, there’s a place on the form to indicate your student has not yet attended school. The Official Release of Records is necessary for all new students and is one of the required documents to save their seat.

What happens if I can’t complete the paperwork by the deadline?

We understand that life happens! If you have a circumstance that prevents you from turning in the paperwork by the deadline, please contact the school office and set up an alternate date. If we don’t hear from you or you don’t make the new deadline, your student may lose their seat. You will need to reapply if this occurs.

My child has been accepted to multiple schools managed by National Heritage Academies. Will enrollment paperwork transfer to each school?

No. We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but all schools managed by National Heritage Academies are individual entities and separate paperwork must be completed for each school. Use the Parent Portal to complete forms online and save time.

When can I complete lunch forms (Free and Reduced Lunch forms or HIS forms)?

These forms will be ready for you after July 1. 

What if my child has an IEP or 504 Plan?

In order to best serve your child in a timely manner, please provide a copy of the most recent IEP or 504 Plan with your enrollment paperwork. A request for the official IEP or 504 Plan will also be made to your child’s previous school, but in some cases transfer of files between schools can be slow and we want to provide services to your student as soon as possible.

What do I do after I’ve completed all enrollment paperwork for my child?

There’s lots you can do to ensure your student has a successful transition! Please check the school’s website and/or Facebook page for upcoming events. Mark your calendar and plan to attend orientation. Just a note: additional paperwork may be communicated to you prior to your child’s first day.

Now that my child’s been accepted, do I need to re-apply each year?

Once your child has attended our school, he/she will become officially enrolled and will remain eligible to be re-enrolled at the school for successive years without having to re-apply. You will be asked to provide a re-enrollment decision to indicate your intent to return for the subsequent school year.

What if my child cannot come the first day of school, but we still want the seat?

Please be sure to communicate with the school office any time your student will be absent, even for the first day of school! Otherwise, if your student is absent without notification on the first day, the school may remove your child from the roster and give that seat to the next child on the waiting list.

To report an excused absence, please do one of the following:
  • Call or email the school by 9:00 a.m. on the first day of school; or
  • Write a letter to the school (must be received before the first day of school).
  • If you are unable to contact the school, call 877-642-7471. If your child does not show up on the first day of school and does not have an excused absence, his/her seat will be forfeited.

What if I move or change my contact information?

Email and phone number changes can easily be done through the Parent Portal. Address changes must be done in person at the school office and a new proof of residency must be provided. An update Student Residency Questionnaire must also be completed. Important to note: if we are unable to contact you using the information you provided, we may remove your child’s name from the school’s accepted list.

My child will attend PrepNet Virtual Academy. What else do I need to know?

Testing: Students must test in person at designated sites for state tests (WIDA, and MStep/MI-Access) and college board tests (including PSAT, SAT, ACT, WorkKeys, and AP). These tests take place in the Spring and will likely be hosted at sites in Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Transportation is not provided.

Attendance: Students are expected to attend every course, every day for synchronous instruction as scheduled. Plan on your child participating in virtual classroom instruction Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. with a lunch break.

Participation: Students are expected to:
  • Be on camera while in class and utilizing microphone, headset, and video.
  • Be present for the duration of class.
  • Use PVA-issued devices.
  • Focus on class without other household or family responsibilities.
Orientation: Parents and students are required to participate in a virtual orientation.